5 Tips to Prepare Your Home for Sale
Should you remodel your home before putting it on the market? It seems like a waste to invest money in remodels that a buyer may not like and that you won’t be able to enjoy for long. Small updates are another matter, especially if you strategically place your improvements.
The key to getting the best return on your investment is to focus on upgrading things that Portland buyers value. By making targeted improvements, even modest ones, you can make a home more appealing to potential homeowners. And, the more charming a house, the higher its selling price.
Tips to Prepare Your Home for Sale
1. Improve Lighting: Nearly everyone values natural light. Make the most of your home’s windows by taking down drapes and blinds. Install window film if glare, heat or privacy is a concern. Evaluate the lighting both inside and outside your home. Brighten corners with spot lighting.
2. Spruce Up the Kitchen: Kitchens are one of the most important features in a home. If the kitchen is in bad condition, consider a remodel. You may be able to recoup the majority of an investment in your selling price. If a remodel isn’t possible, make cosmetic upgrades: paint walls, countertops and cabinets. Add a stick-on tile backsplash. Upgrade cabinet hardware or the faucet. Buying all new appliances may not be in your budget, but consider replacing just one.
3. Add a Coat of Paint: Refresh the interior of your home with new of paint. Choose neutral tones in lighter colors. Bold colors aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. Gray, white or tan colors look fresh. If you’re a good painter, you can take on this task yourself. However, hiring a professional painter means the job will get done more quickly and will most likely look better.
4. Clear Clutter: Buyers need to be able to see their belongings in your home. Leave essential furniture, such as sofas, beds and dressers in place, but remove clutter. Box up personal items and collectibles and put them in storage. Don’t forget to do the same for your yard and patio.
5. Deep Clean Everything: Make sure everything in your home is meticulously clean. Hire a professional carpet cleaning service. Scrub the bathroom until it sparkles. Go beyond what you think is adequate. Potential buyers can be highly critical, focusing on minor offenses of dirt or dust.
Window Film in Portland, Oregon
Contact Pacific Window Tinting for a free estimate. We specialize in window film that enhances the beauty and comfort of your home.